Partisan Gerrymandering: How Much Is Too Much?
Why Wisconsin Became A Pivotal Front In Nationwide Redistricting Fight
Additional resources to think about
An Unbridgeable Divide? Pennsylvania's (Ongoing) Story Of Gerrymandering And Redistricting
Pennsylvania's population is evenly split between Democrats and Republicans, but before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court struck it down, the congressional map gave one party a 5 district advantage.
The Gerrymandering Project
This reporting project from FiveThirtyEight looks at what effects gerrymandering actually has on democracy.
Who created this message?
- What kind of “text” is it?
- How similar or different is it to others of the same genre?
- What are the various elements (building blocks) that make up the whole?
What creative techniques are used to attract my attention?
- What do you notice (about the way the message is constructed)?
- What’s the emotional appeal?
- What makes it seem “real?”
- What's the emotional appeal? Persuasive devices used?
How might different people understand this message differently from me?
- How many other interpretations could there be?
- How could we hear about them?
- How can you explain the different responses?
What lifestyles, values, and points of view are represented in, or omitted from, this message?
- What type of person is the reader/watcher/listener invited to identify with?
- What ideas or perspectives are left out?
- How would you find what’s missing?
- What judgments or statements are made about how we treat other people?
Why is this message being sent?
- What's being sold in this message? What's being told?
- Who is served by or benefits from the message
– the public?
– private interests?
Don't let the learning stop here
Join other classrooms in live online debates. Thinkalong's virtual debate program is in beta mode, but we're looking for educators to test it out by connecting their students with other students across the country.
How was your Thinkalong experience?
We actively use feedback to provide better resources to students and educators, so please take 1 minute to provide feedback and help us improve.