When Will Humans Visit Mars? This Physicist Says There Are 'Real Plans' For The 2030s
Is life on Mars a possibility?
Additional resources to think about
The Amazing Cloud Cities We Could Build on Venus
Space scientists are pouring much time and effort into colonizing Mars. But could we also live in the atmosphere of Venus? BBC Future investigates.
Is It Moral To Explore, And Colonize, Mars?
What if we reach the point where large-scale human habitation of Mars becomes possible? Do we have a right to change a planet where we did not evolve?
A New Race for Space
This PBS NewsHour video from the Student Reporting Labs discusses a company's vision for colonizing Mars.
Who created this message?
- What kind of “text” is it?
- How similar or different is it to others of the same genre?
- What are the various elements (building blocks) that make up the whole?
What creative techniques are used to attract my attention?
- What do you notice (about the way the message is constructed)?
- What’s the emotional appeal?
- What makes it seem “real?”
- Are there any symbols? Persuasive devices used?
How might different people understand this message differently from me?
- How many other interpretations could there be?
- How could we hear about them?
- How can you explain the different responses?
What lifestyles, values, and points of view are represented in, or omitted from, this message?
- What type of person is the reader/watcher/listener invited to identify with?
- What ideas or perspectives are left out?
- How would you find what’s missing?
- What judgments or statements are made about how we treat other people?
Why is this message being sent?
- What's being sold in this message? What's being told?
- Who is served by or benefits from the message
– the public?
– private interests?
Should humans colonize Mars?
Don't let the learning stop here
Join other classrooms in live online debates. Thinkalong's virtual debate program is in beta mode, but we're looking for educators to test it out by connecting their students with other students across the country.
How was your Thinkalong experience?
We actively use feedback to provide better resources to students and educators, so please take 1 minute to provide feedback and help us improve.