What Does It Take To Get A Drug Banned For Enhancing Athletes' Performance?
Dutch Cyclist Thomas Dekker's Misadventures In Blood Doping
Additional resources to think about
An interview with one of the NYT reporters who broke the allegations of Grigory Rodchenkov, a former Russian anti-doping agent, who says that Russian athletes were using PEDs and doping at the 2014 Olympics.
The story of a Japanese kayaker who spiked his rival's drink with steroids to get him banned from competition.
Should Testosterone Be Regulated in Female Athletes?
From NOVA, the question of testing for PEDs and doping hit a snag in 2014, when a female sprinter was found to naturally produce more testosterone than her competitors. This article addresses the difference between natural advantages and artificial ones.
Who created this message?
- What kind of “text” is it?
- How similar or different is it to others of the same genre?
- What are the various elements (building blocks) that make up the whole?
What creative techniques are used to attract my attention?
- What do you notice (about the way the message is constructed)?
- What’s the emotional appeal?
- What makes it seem “real?”
- What's the emotional appeal? Persuasive devices used?
How might different people understand this message differently from me?
- How many other interpretations could there be?
- How could we hear about them?
- How can you explain the different responses?
What lifestyles, values, and points of view are represented in, or omitted from, this message?
- What type of person is the reader/watcher/listener invited to identify with?
- What ideas or perspectives are left out?
- How would you find what’s missing?
- What judgments or statements are made about how we treat other people?
Why is this message being sent?
- What's being sold in this message? What's being told?
- Who is served by or benefits from the message
– the public?
– private interests?
Don't let the learning stop here
Join other classrooms in live online debates. Thinkalong's virtual debate program is in beta mode, but we're looking for educators to test it out by connecting their students with other students across the country.
How was your Thinkalong experience?
We actively use feedback to provide better resources to students and educators, so please take 1 minute to provide feedback and help us improve.