Budget Battle Forces Oklahoma Schools To Try 4-Day Weeks
When A 4-Day School Week Might Cost More Than It Saves
Additional resources to think about
Half Of Colorado School Districts Have 4-Day Weeks. What's The Impact On Students?
A Colorado superintendent speaks out to explain why her district moved to a 4-day week.
Are 4-Day School Weeks the Way of the Future?
An interview with another superintendent who served as a principal during his district’s transition. He talks about the pros and cons of the new schedule.
A troubling contagion: the rural 4-day school week
This piece from Brookings is a summary of their study of 4-day school weeks.
Who created this message?
- What kind of “text” is it?
- How similar or different is it to others of the same genre?
- What are the various elements (building blocks) that make up the whole?
What creative techniques are used to attract my attention?
- What do you notice (about the way the message is constructed)?
- What’s the emotional appeal?
- What makes it seem “real?”
- Are there any symbols? Persuasive devices used?
How might different people understand this message differently from me?
- How many other interpretations could there be?
- How could we hear about them?
- How can you explain the different responses?
What lifestyles, values, and points of view are represented in, or omitted from, this message?
- What type of person is the reader/watcher/listener invited to identify with?
- What ideas or perspectives are left out?
- How would you find what’s missing?
- What judgments or statements are made about how we treat other people?
Why is this message being sent?
- What's being sold in this message? What's being told?
- Who is served by or benefits from the message
– the public?
– private interests?
Should school weeks be four days instead of five?
Don't let the learning stop here!
Join other classrooms across the state in live debates.