Budget Battle Forces Oklahoma Schools To Try 4-Day Weeks
When A 4-Day School Week Might Cost More Than It Saves
Additional resources to think about
Half Of Colorado School Districts Have 4-Day Weeks. What's The Impact On Students?
A Colorado superintendent speaks out to explain why her district moved to a 4-day week.
Are 4-Day School Weeks the Way of the Future?
An interview with another superintendent who served as a principal during his district’s transition. He talks about the pros and cons of the new schedule.
A troubling contagion: the rural 4-day school week
This piece from Brookings is a summary of their study of 4-day school weeks.
Who created this message?
- What kind of “text” is it?
- How similar or different is it to others of the same genre?
- What are the various elements (building blocks) that make up the whole?
What creative techniques are used to attract my attention?
- What do you notice (about the way the message is constructed)?
- What’s the emotional appeal?
- What makes it seem “real?”
- Are there any symbols? Persuasive devices used?
How might different people understand this message differently from me?
- How many other interpretations could there be?
- How could we hear about them?
- How can you explain the different responses?
What lifestyles, values, and points of view are represented in, or omitted from, this message?
- What type of person is the reader/watcher/listener invited to identify with?
- What ideas or perspectives are left out?
- How would you find what’s missing?
- What judgments or statements are made about how we treat other people?
Why is this message being sent?
- What's being sold in this message? What's being told?
- Who is served by or benefits from the message
– the public?
– private interests?
Should school weeks be four days instead of five?
Don't let the learning stop here
Join other classrooms in live online debates. Thinkalong's virtual debate program is in beta mode, but we're looking for educators to test it out by connecting their students with other students across the country.
How was your Thinkalong experience?
We actively use feedback to provide better resources to students and educators, so please take 1 minute to provide feedback and help us improve.