Should Social Media Companies Pay Us For Our Data?
Facebook, Google Draw Scrutiny Over Apps That Collected Data From Teens
Additional resources to think about
I Downloaded the Information That Facebook Has on Me. Yikes.
A New York TIme's Reporter explains that Facebook has much more data than most people realize.
How Social Media Companies Profit From Data Heightens Concerns
Facebook founder, Mark Zuckerberg, testified on Capitol Hill after a scandal called Facebook's privacy policies into question. Will Congress now call for more regulation of Internet media platforms?
Google Says It Will No Longer Read Users' Emails To Sell Targeted Ads
Google will no longer scan emails in Gmail accounts in order sell targeted advertising.
Who created this message?
- What kind of “text” is it?
- How similar or different is it to others of the same genre?
- What are the various elements (building blocks) that make up the whole?
What creative techniques are used to attract my attention?
- What do you notice (about the way the message is constructed)?
- What’s the emotional appeal?
- What makes it seem “real?”
- What's the emotional appeal? Persuasive devices used?
How might different people understand this message differently from me?
- How many other interpretations could there be?
- How could we hear about them?
- How can you explain the different responses?
What lifestyles, values, and points of view are represented in, or omitted from, this message?
- What type of person is the reader/watcher/listener invited to identify with?
- What ideas or perspectives are left out?
- How would you find what’s missing?
- What judgments or statements are made about how we treat other people?
Why is this message being sent?
- What's being sold in this message? What's being told?
- Who is served by or benefits from the message
– the public?
– private interests?
Should social media companies be allowed to sell your data?
Don't let the learning stop here
Join other classrooms in live online debates. Thinkalong's virtual debate program is in beta mode, but we're looking for educators to test it out by connecting their students with other students across the country.
How was your Thinkalong experience?
We actively use feedback to provide better resources to students and educators, so please take 1 minute to provide feedback and help us improve.