Share to Google Classroom
When Did Humans Start Shaping Earth's Fate? An Epoch Debate
Evidence that we are in the Age of Man: Scientists catalog more human-made minerals
Additional resources to think about
'Case is made' for Anthropocene Epoch
There is little doubt now that we have entered a new geological age, believes an international scientific panel.
Did the Anthropocene Begin in 1950 or 50,000 Years Ago?
Scientists debate whether hunting, farming, smallpox or the nuclear bomb define the start of irreversible human impacts on our planet
What Is the Anthropocene and Are We in It?
Efforts to label the human epoch have ignited a scientific debate between geologists and environmentalists.
When We Took Over The World
PBS Eons looks at the impact humans have had on the Earth during our (relatively) short time on this planet.
When Time Became History - The Human Era
Kurzgesagt takes a look at the anthropological journey of the human race.
When Did the Anthropocene Really Begin?
This video from The Good Stuff asks when human influence should begin, especially if scientists look to classify a new age.
Who created this message?
- What kind of “text” is it?
- How similar or different is it to others of the same genre?
- What are the various elements (building blocks) that make up the whole?
What creative techniques are used to attract my attention?
- What do you notice (about the way the message is constructed)?
- What’s the emotional appeal?
- What makes it seem “real?”
- What's the emotional appeal? Persuasive devices used?
How might different people understand this message differently from me?
- How many other interpretations could there be?
- How could we hear about them?
- How can you explain the different responses?
What lifestyles, values, and points of view are represented in, or omitted from, this message?
- What type of person is the reader/watcher/listener invited to identify with?
- What ideas or perspectives are left out?
- How would you find what’s missing?
- What judgments or statements are made about how we treat other people?
Why is this message being sent?
- What's being sold in this message? What's being told?
- Who is served by or benefits from the message
– the public?
– private interests?
Should we classify human history as the “Anthropocene age”?
How was your Thinkalong experience?
We actively use feedback to provide better resources to students and educators, so please take 1 minute to provide feedback and help us improve.